Ayurveda is so near and dear to me that I find myself talking about it to everyone. It usually begins with someone asking me how I stay fit and looking so healthy and well. I go in to my explanation about how I eat, exercise and take care of my body and mind using the principles of Ayurveda. Sometimes I even go into how I am a Pitta dosha and what that means but what I mostly share with them are great ways to incorporate healthy eating into their lives and actually enjoy the foods that they are eating because they are so “yummy.”
During this blog post I would like to share with you some Super Summer Coolers that are tasty and nourishing to the body and mind. Sweet, bitter and astringent taste are the most cooling, according to the principles of Ayurveda and me being a Pitta dosha, I am always looking for ways to keep me cool on the inside when the temperature begins to heat up on the outside. It is no surprise that thirst-quenching ingredients such as lime, cucumber, and coconut water make refreshing and cooling summer tonics. Here are a few that I would highly recommend that you try.
- A Blissful Beginning Smoothie ~ This smoothie makes a great drink for breakfast.
- 1 cup of coconut water or filter SFA water (Iwater by G.I.A.)
- 1 cup of kales or spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of chard leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of parsley
- ½ cucumber
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pear or apple cored, roughly chopped, frozen mango or peaches, cherries, blueberries, pineapple or banana to taste.
Process your vegetables with liquids in the blender. Add fruit to taste, depending on how sweet you like your smoothies. Drink and Enjoy!
- Coconut Splash
- Combine 1 ¼ cups coconut water and 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- Thinly slice a two-inch piece of cucumber and stir the slices into the drink
- If the cucumber is organic and unwaxed leave on the skin otherwise peel before slicing.
- Add a little ice and a sprig of mint
Stir, drink and Enjoy!
3. Prana Goddess
- Combine 1 cup of honeydew melon chunks, 10-12 fresh mint leaves, 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt, ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon of raw sugar, and couple of ice cubes in a blender.
- Add filtered water and blend until smooth.
Drink and Enjoy!
- Ruby Spritzer
- Combine ½ to 1 cup of sparkling mineral water with ½ cup of pomegranate juice and 1 teaspoon of Rose water.
- Mix and sip through fresh lemongrass as if it were a straw.
- You can use blueberry juice in place of pomegranate juice to make a Sapphire Spritzer.
Drink and Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy all of the above Yummy Summer Drinks. They are nutritious and delicious and will sure to please the pickiest drinkers. These drinks are good for all three doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). Drink up and enjoy!
Wishing much health and wellness!
Rochéle Lawson, RN,AHP,CMS
The Queen of Feeling Fabulous
Host of “Blissful Living”