Detoxifying the body can be a relative easy thing to do. In fact it is not necessary to starve yourself, do fad detoxes that may do more damage than good or have the detoxification be an extremely difficult thing to do. In fact you can detox your body by eating food that naturally assists your body with the detoxification process. Below is a list of the first five detoxifying foods and how they work.
- Apple – Scientist in the Ukraine have used apples to purify the area around Chernobyl after the nuclear leak. Apples contain Vitamin C and quercetin, antioxidant nutrients that lower fat/cholesterol levels. Pectin, a fiber also found in citrus fruits, beets and berries that binds heavy metals (such as lead and mercury) in the colon and encourages their excretion. It also helps the body excrete food additives, including tartrazine, which is linked to hyperactivity, migraine headaches and asthma in children.
- Avocado – Avocados contain Glutathione, an antioxidant that fights free radicals. This combines with fat-soluble toxins, particularly alcohol, to make them water-soluble. Levels of glutathione decrease as we age (one reason why hangovers worsen as we get older): researchers at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, USA, found that elderly people whose levels of glutathione were higher, were healthier. They were also less likely to suffer from arthritis, which many experts believe is a disease aggravated by excess toxicity.
- Artichoke – The Artichoke increases bile production. One of the jobs of bile is to carry toxins to the bowel where they can be excreted. According to research, artichoke can increase bile flow by 127% 30 minutes after being eaten. Artichokes contain antioxidant nutrients that are shown to decrease damage to the liver caused by free radicals when the artichoke extracts are present in the system.
- Beetroot– beetroot has been used for many years by Roman civilizations as a blood-purifying tonic. Ingredients in it may also absorb toxic metals. At Leadville, a polluted mine site in Colorado, USA, beets and other crops such as carrot and banana are being used to filer 70% of pollutants from water. Beetroot contains methionine, which helps to purify natural waste products from the body. Batanin, which helps the rate at which the liver can break down fatty acids. This takes pressure off the organ, allowing it to fight more dangerous toxins.
- Cruciferous Vegetables – Cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, spinach and cauliflower all cruciferous vegetables and are very powerful detoxifiers that neutralize particular toxins. As study at Cornell University in USA found that brussel sprouts inhibited aflatoxin, a toxic mold linked to liver cancer. Cruciferous vegetables have also neutralized nitrosamines, produced by cigarette smoke. They also contain glucosinolates, which prompts the liver to produce vital enzymes.
Water – Water is needed to flush toxins through our system, yet most of us spend the day dehydrated. You have probably heard that eight glasses of water a day is the required amount, but just aim to drink a glass of something as often as you can. Remember that its not just plain water that hydrates you. Coconut water is an excellent source to utilize for hydrating the body. It is full of electrolytes that the body uses and needs and it is very cooling to the body. You can also eat high water containing foods such as watermelon, celery, cucumber, pears, and grapes to boost your water supply and to provide vitamins to your body.
Other Useful Detox Foods
Alfalfa, Asparagus, Bananas, Bran Cereals, Brazil nuts, Carrots, Eggs, Tofu
Have fun with this list and try to incorporate as many of the above foods as possible. Watch how your body responds by giving you more energy, vibrancy and clarity. You will feel amazing.
Wishing you healthy energy, vibrancy and clarity!
Rochel Marie Lawson, RN,AHP,CMS
The Queen of Feeling Fabulous