As we began to settle into the New Year, I want to offer you some tips so that you can enjoy this year without feeling stressed and overwhelmed. We all have a lot to do nowadays and sometimes when we add just one additional thing on our already very full to do list, we can become extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Well rest assured that Rochel Marie Lawson, The Queen of Feeling Fabulous AKA The Wellness Architect is here to guide you so that you can feel fabulous in all areas of your life.
There are many events in life that can cause stress. The more involved you become in your life the more opportunities present themselves that can simply push you over the edge. For example having to work longer hours at work, being in school and facing the pressure of taking mid-terms or final exams, worrying about the economy and whether or not your financial situation is stable, or maybe dealing with the challenges of raising children in our fast pace society, whatever it is it may be just enough to set you up for a stressful episode.
Here are 5 GREAT ways to relieve stress so that you can feel fabulous:
- Breathing exercises – Deep breathing is an easy stress reliever that has numerous benefits for the body, including oxygenating the blood, which wakes up your brain, relaxes your muscles and quiets the mind. Breathing exercises are especially helpful because you can do them anywhere at anytime and they work so quickly that you now have the tool to de-stress in an instant.
- Meditation – Meditation builds on deep breathing and takes it a step further. When you meditate, your brain enters an area of functioning that is similar to sleep, but carries some added benefits you cannot achieve in any other state, including the release of certain hormones that promote health. Also the mental focus on nothingness keeps your mind from working overtime and increasing your stress level.
- Guided Imagery – It takes slightly more time to practice guided imagery, but this is a great way to leave your stress behind for a while and relax your body. Some find it easier to practice this than meditation, as lots of us find it more doable to focus on something rather than on nothing. You can play natural sounds in the background as you practice, to promote a more immersive experience.
- Visualizations – Building on guided imagery, you can also imagine yourself achieving goals like becoming healthier and more relaxed, doing well at task and handling conflict in better ways. Also, visualize yourself doing well on tasks you are trying to master, this actually functions like physical practice, so you can improve your performance through visualizations as well.
- Self Hypnosis – Self Hypnosis incorporates some of the features of guided imagery and visualizations, with the added benefit of enable you to communicate directly with your subconscious mind to enhance your abilities, more easily give up bad habits, feel less pain, more effectively develop healthier habits and even find answers to questions that may not be clear to your waking mind. It takes some practice and training, but it is well worth it.
The above 5 tips should get you well on your way to relieving the stress and overwhelm in your life. Stay tuned for next week’s article that will include 5 more GREAT tips that you can use to keep your stress at bay. Between the two articles you will have 10 GREAT tips that will help you to reduce or eliminate stress and overwhelm out of your life immediately so that you can enjoy this year with ease and less stress.
Wishing you peace to your mind, wellness to your body and tranquility to your spirit.
Rochel Marie Lawson, RN,AHP,CMS
The Queen of Feeling Fabulous
The Wellness Architect