There’s a lot to love when it comes to delicious, healthy, healing and filling smoothies, especially when you are trying to lose weight. Smoothies can be used as a fabulous start to the day or a healthy snack or meal during the day. They’re fun to make and a tasty way to get more protein, fruits, and vegetables into your diet.
I have specific recipes for my clients depending on what they’re wellness goals are. I would love to share with you some tips for making smoothies that I share with them when it comes to making smoothies. Smoothies can be made with juice, water, yogurt, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk or any of the other milk alternatives, they can contain veggies, fruit, supplements, herbs and spices. I suggest combining 1 cup of fruit or vegetables with 1 cup of liquid and two to three ice cubes. Adding a teaspoon of a spice like cinnamon or ground ginger can add an exotic taste plus a boost of phytochemicals.
Any fruit or vegetable can be mixed together, some are better than others when it comes to taste and nutrition. Here are some of the suggestions that I have.
- Avocados add creaminess and thickness to smoothies. High in potassium and Vitamins A, C and E, avocados are also rich in essential fatty acids.
- Bananas add a thick and creamy texture to smoothies. They offer a high level of potassium and help boost the immune system.
- Dates add thickness and sweetness along with vitamins A, B1, B2, C and D.
- Spinach contains fiber that can help clean the digestive tract of free radicals.
- Strawberries provide vitamin c and cleansing actions for the liver. They also have antiviral and antioxidant properties.
To add a boost to your smoothie try adding one or more of the following to your smoothie for extra benefits including enhanced energy, joint repair, and toxin removal.
- Cacao is a mineral- rich super food that offers energizing and anti-aging properties. It makes a smoothie taste like dessert!
- Chia seeds have been consumed for energy for centuries. They make an excellent thickener for a smoothie when it’s left to chill for about half an hour after being blended.
- Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil contain omega 3s that help the joints avoid the absorption of toxins.
- Hemp seeds provide a nutty flavor, omega 3s and omega 6s, fatty acids, and protein.
- Wheatgrass offers antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Once you start making smoothies you will love them because the process of making them puts you in charge of what you get to take into your body and that my friends it powerful within itself.
Wishing you peace, wellness & tranquility!
Rochel Marie Lawson, RN,AHP,CMS
The Queen of Feeling Fabulous
Host of Blissful Living Show