Magnesium is an essential mineral required by the body for maintaining normal muscle and nerve function, keeping a healthy immune system, maintaining heart rhythm and building strong bones. Magnesium is also involved in at least 300 biochemical reactions in the body. A deficiency in magnesium can lead to muscle spams, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety disorders, migraines, osteoporosis and cerebral infarction. On the other hand consuming too much magnesium typically causes diarrhea as the body attempts to excrete the excess.
Below you will find 10 foods that are high in magnesium and good for your body. No worries there is something for everyone.
- Bran (Rice, Wheat & Oat) these are great additions to breads and breakfast cereals like oats, rye and buckwheat. One cup of crude rice bran contains 922mg of magnesium or 230% of the daily value.
- Dried Herbs are packed with vitamins and an healthy addition to almost any meal. Dried Corriander provides the most magnesium with 694mg per 100 gram serving or per tablespoon followed by chives and spearmint.
- Squash, Pumpkin and Watermelon seeds, dried or roasted make great snacks or in a salad and these seeds are packed with magnesium
- Cocoa Powder (Dark Chocolate) is becoming more popular and with good reason, long regarded as junk food dark chocolate is packed with vitamins and conferred health benefits. Cocoa powder provides 499mg of magnesium. So ladies when you get that craving for chocolate know that you are probably lacking in magnesium, so go ahead and indulge with a piece or two.
- Flax, Sesame Seeds and Sesame Butter (Tahini) are great sources of heart healthy oils and provide a good source of magnesium.
- Brazil Nuts possibly the largest of all nuts are a great source of magnesium. Brazil nuts provide 376mg of magnesium per serving.
- Sunflower Seeds are the number one source of vitamin E and a good source of thiamin. Sunflower seeds contain 325mg of magnesium per serving or 455mg per cup.
- Almonds and Cashews (Mixed nuts, Pine nuts) are great as a snack or as an addition to salads and soups. Almonds provide 286mg of magnesium and Cashews provide 273mg of magnesium per serving.
- Molasses is a good substitute for refined sugar in cakes and breads. It is also a wonderful source of magnesium. Molasses provides 242mg of magnesium per tablespoon.
- Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame) make great editions to salads or as a healthy snack. Dry roasted soybeans are a great source of magnesium. When roasted they provide a whooping 228mg of magnesium per cup.
With all the goodness that comes from eating foods that contain magnesium, I do not see how you will be able to resist. Not only are the above foods good for you but they are healthy and will help you to keep your waistline trim. So do yourself a favor and incorporate some of these foods into your daily routine.
For a full list of foods that are high in magnesium email me at: email@example.com and in the subject line put “magnesium” and I will send you my free report on ” Foods high in Magnesium.”
Wishing you much health and wellness!
Rochele Lawson, RN,AHP,CMS
The Queen of Feeling Fabulous